• Is there a “right time” or “right age” to start Botox in Chicago?
– Dr. Pinski: Safety and effectiveness haven’t been established in studies in patients under the age of 18. I personally don’t think age should be the determining factor. It’s based on clinical necessity. Also, keep in mind that Botox helps prevent the formation of etched in facial lines; so it’s better to start earlier rather than later. That being said, the majority of my patients receiving Botox range from 30-65 years of age.
• How does Botox work?
– Dr. Pinski: When introduced into the system, Botulinum neurotoxin binds to the neuromuscular junction. It inhibits release of a chemical, acetylcholine, thus temporarily preventing localized muscle contractions.
• How long have you been injecting Botox?
– Dr. Pinski: 17 years
• Is it a painful procedure?
– Dr. Pinski: Botox injections are not painful. Ice is utilized to make the process as comfortable as possible.
• Is there any downtime with this procedure?
– Dr. Pinski: Patients can typically return to work or social activities immediately after treatment.
• Are there any contraindications with Botox?
– Dr. Pinski: Botox is currently FDA approved for frown lines, “crows feet” lines and excessive sweating of the armpits. It is used in several other areas in an off-label fashion. Botox is contraindicated in women who are pregnant or breast-feeding. In addition, patients with neuromuscular diseases like ALS or myasthenia gravis should not receive Botox injections. If taking aminoglycosides or if allergic to eggs, Botox should be avoided!
• What types of results can I see with Botox and how long will they last?
– Dr. Pinski: Botox is used to give a softening of expression lines in treated areas. Therapy should result in a natural appearance rather than a frozen look. The duration of results varies among individuals, although typically they will persist for 3-6 months.
Pinski Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery, S.C. has been recognized as one of the best dermatologists in Chicago. To learn more about Botox in Chicago, and much more, schedule an appointment with a Pinski Dermatology Chicago skin care professional today!