Q: What causes acne?
A: Acne is caused by many factors. Irregular plugging of pores, oil production from sebaceous glands, hormones, bacteria, cosmetics and stress all play a role.
Q: Is there anything I should avoid to reduce acne flares?
A: – Hair styling gels, pomades, and leave-on conditioners
– Cosmetic foundations and bases that contain oils
– Pressed cosmetic powders that contain oils
– Avoid touching and picking acne lesions
Q: Can acne happen at all ages?
A: Acne is typically a disease of adolescents and young adults. Although, acne lesions may be found at any age.
Q: What are some treatment options for blackheads, whiteheads, and mild inflammatory acne?
A: Topical treatment with:
- Glycolic Acid
- Retinoids (such as Retin-A, Differin, Ziana, Tazorac)
- Benzoyl Peroxide
- Azeleic Acid
Q: What are some treatment options for moderate to severe inflammatory acne?
A: The above topicals and:
- Oral antibiotics (such as Minocycline, Septra)
- Superficial Chemical Peels
- Photodynamic Therapy with Blue Light
- Aerolase Laser Therapy
Q: What are some treatment options for severe nodular cystic acne?
A: – Accutane
– Photodynamic Therapy with Blue Light
– Aerolase Laser Therapy
Q: What are some treatment options for hormonally influenced acne in women?
A: – Spironolactone
– Birth Control Pills
If you are struggling with breakouts, call today for a consultation with one of our providers to help customize a plan for your skin!