Posion Ivy rash is an allergic rash caused by contact with a particular plant. The sap of the poison ivy plant contains an oil called urushiol which causes an allergic reaction. The rash is typically itchy and irritating. Painful blisters can also develop.
The oil from the poison ivy plant can cause the rash if it comes into contact with your skin. The oil can also linger on certain items like gardening tools, shoes, clothes, pets, etc. and can cause a reaction. After contact with the irritant, the rash can take a few days to weeks to fully develop. Poison Ivy predominantly grows in the northern and western United States.
Posion Ivy can be very serious and dangerous, and if you experience any of the following symptoms you should go to the emergency room:
-shortness of breath
-the rash covers a large area of your body
Visit your dermatologist to ensure the rash you have is indeed Poison Ivy. Poison Ivy symptoms can be alleviated with antihistamines, hydrocortisone, or other prescribed medications. There is no cure for poison ivy, but it will eventually heal on its own.
Chicago Office, (312) 263-4625